Friday, April 4, 2008

A SAD, SAD DAY

There will be no picture to go with this post. I can't bear the thought of looking at one right now. Our dog Spencer had to be taken to the animal shelter today. He was a biter. He was always a biter. Today, he bit one time too many. He never bit our own kids (well, once that was entirely deserved), but he bit other kids. Lhasa-Apsos are known to be very protective of their owners. We never thought when we got that breed seven years ago, that it would become evident in this way. He is so protective of our own kids, that he bites other kids if they get too close to him or them. All the children that are in our house on a regular basis know our dog well, and know they should never get too close. But kids will be kids, and we just can't take the chance anymore. He gave a nasty bite today to a good friend of ours. It was such a horrible decision, but one that we have put off too long trying to rationalize and justify his behavior. I truly felt like I was handing over one of my own children. I never knew I had this many tears inside. Just when I think the water works are over, they start up again. It's still so fresh that I feel like I'm just rambling now. Our vet recommended having him put down, but the girls just lost it with the thought of him dying. We decided to take him to the animal shelter with the very slight hope of him being adopted by someone with no children. They said it was doubtful, but somehow it's a little easier just not really knowing for sure. I guess I'm a true official blogger now, I actually turn to my blog when I have something I just need to talk about.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so sorry about Spencer - I'm thinking about all of you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and crying with you! Just hearing about Spencer makes my heart hurt - I'm so sorry you had to make this decision.

Florida Girl said...

Teary eyed all over again just thinking of how if feels to take the last glance at them. No matter what, they become part of the family too. Sorry you are all having to go through it.

Nana said...

I prayed that something would keep him from being put down and you did. Now I am continue to pray that some adult (maybe one of the workers) will fall in love with him and see he can be a good dog for an adult. It is sad to lose a pet even when it has to be done. I have cried with you too. But in my heart I am believing he will find a new home. He is a beautiful dog and would go good with adults.

Jennie said...

I am so sorry Heather. I know it must be like losing a member of the family. I haven't faced it yet but I know I will because Lucy is getting old and she is also a runner. He was such a cutie. Maybe God needs you guys to provide a home for some other little dog that needs one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Heather, you must be so sad. We've almost had to send our dog away for different reasons, and I was heartbroken. I'm so sorry.