Wednesday, April 23, 2008

CHERRY BLOSSOMS AND PEAR TREES

Today's post will have no picture - and there is a story behind the reason why. A few days ago, the trees in my yard were just bursting with beautiful blossoms and were just beginning to be blown away by the breeze in the most dreamy sort of way. By the way, I did figure out that the tree with the white blossoms is a pear tree. I was outside playing in the backyard with the girls. Emily's newest love is to swing - at EVERY possible minute. She has graduated from her baby swing that hangs off the deck, to the "big girl" swings and she thinks she is just too big for her britches now! Hannah was hobbling around with a broken broomstick, and an actual broom pretending to have a broken ankle, and was using them as crutches (??). Hannah discovered that if she hit the lower branches of the pear tree, that it showered down the dainty white petals just like snow. Emily was completely mesmerized. She started shrieking and giggling so loudly that she actually drew the attention of the neighbors, who thought something was wrong! She just danced and danced under the showering white petals while yelling "Mommy, its snowing, its snowing!!!" Hannah was just as joyful and danced right along with her. They both ran around and danced and fell down while being covered in petals, their hair turning absolutely white with petals. It was the most precious moment - and the whole time I kept thinking "I need to go run get my camera!" But then I just stopped, and I heard an almost audible voice that just said "Be still, and enjoy it, savor it, soak it in". It was then that I realized (again) how very fleeting moments like these are. Instead of always trying to capture everything on camera, sometimes I just need to "be still" and enjoy it for what it is. I am again reminded in moments like these how incredibly blessed I am to have three amazing, healthy children who run and laugh in God's creation, and still wonder in the amazement of it all. These petals that last only a few days and then are blown away is so symbolic of my own children's lives. They are here with me for only a moment in time, and will so quickly disappear just like the white petals. So, while I don't have an actual photograph to remember the day that they danced in the showering petals, I will always, always have the mental picture of that wonderful moment.

This morning I was reading an update on the blog www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com and was so surprised to see that her latest post was all about cherry blossoms and the symbolism she discovered. In a way, it seemed to magnify those moments we spent together under the showering blossoms and inspired me to share them with you!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I love what you said about being thankful for "healthy" children. I thank God so often for this. Now that I'm with these boys that have so many problems - Noah has had nine operations in his short little life and his brothers with Autism. When both my girls are talking a mile a minute and at the same time, I've learned to be thankful that they CAN speak. We are so blessed.

Nana said...

What a special moment. It is so true that time with children is so fleeting. They grow up so fast. Each season of their lives is special, and none can be recaptured, so it is best to savor the moment. I am so glad my grand-children have such special moms, that just spend time with their children. It passes way too fast.

casey ryan said...

That is true just keep the moment in your head and not always trying to capture it on a disc.

Sydney said...

awww... how cute!
im so proud of you Mrs. Heather!!!

Karen said...

Many times, I find myself just keeping my bottom or my feet just where they are, instead of running for the camera, just to stay present in the moment. Yes, it is very fleeting and before you know it, they'll be graduating!