Sunday, August 15, 2010

GENTLE WORDS

I came across this poem on one of my favorite blogs today - A Wise Woman Builds Her Home. It was so convicting that I wanted to share it here. This is something that I am always, always working on in our home (and in myself!)


It’s not so much what you say
As the manner in which you say it;
It’s not so much the language you use
As the tone in which you convey it;
“Come here!” I sharply said,
And the child cowered and wept.
“Come here,” I said-
He looked and smiled
And straight to my lap he crept.
Words may be mild and fair
And the tone may pierce like a dart;
Words may be soft as the summer air
But the tone may break my heart;
For words come from the mind
Grow by study and art-
But tone leaps from the inner self
Revealing the state of the heart.
Whether you know it or not,
Whether you are mean or care,
Gentleness, kindness, love and hate,
Envy, anger, are there.
Then, would you quarrels avoid
And peace and love rejoice?
Keep anger not only out of your words-
Keep it out of your voice.

Author Unknown


2 comments:

Nana said...

We all need to work on this from time to time. Our Bible study lesson today was on kindness. How it can be given to everyone at no cost. Words are one of the easiest ways ( and hardest at times )to show kindness.

Erin Gaeng said...

I liked this poem so much I added it to my blog as well. Seems to me that we all struggle with this at some point in our lives- and it looks like Mom's for hundreds of years have had the same concerns over what is best. Thanks for sharing!