Wednesday, January 21, 2009

LET IT BE

Okay, first of all, one of my new years resolutions is to blog a little more, I really need a "mommy" outlet, not just a creative-photography outlet, so yes, I'm mixing business with pleasure, you will just have to get over it. This post has a little story behind it. When we went to Minnesota a few weeks ago (16 hours in a mini-van, three kids, two dogs, and a husband....enough said). Anyway, while we were there, my sister Karen and I had a wonderful day leaving the kiddos behind with the dads to go sledding, while we shopped our little hearts out! It was one of my favorite days of our vacation!! So, that day I was telling Karen how I have been wanting a "chimey clock" as I call it, for a very, very, very long time. I have told my hubby this for the past 17 years, and he actually finally remembered and got me one for Christmas (after a few more reminders). The crazy thing was, he ordered it off the internet, so actually never heard the "chiming" until we received it. Now, he certainly received an "A" for effort with this gift. But let's just say that after unsuccessfully putting electrical tape over the hole that the sound came out of, to try to buffer the obnoxiousity (is that a word?) of it, and after the stinking clock chimed ALL NIGHT, every hour, we finally just took the batteries out. So anyway, back to the story, I was just telling Karen how I loved our sister Jennie's clock and that I had been looking for one. Not ten minutes later, there it WAS!! Just waiting for me to buy it!! We looked at it, and played all the songs on it, and decided it was definitely borderline, downright "gawdy", but I just loved it anyway. And guess what? It had a light detector - meaning it would NOT chime all night long. So, I decided "Happy Birthday to me" and bought the clock, a little nervous that my hubby and his gift would feel a little betrayed. I told Karen I didn't recognize ANY of the songs this clock was playing, so she was trying to sing them to me, right there in the middle of Sam's Club. Nope, nothing, didn't recognize a thing (maybe it was her stellar singing skills). So, I bought the clock and took it back to Karen's house and handed it to my hubby, who took one look at it and the first things he says "These are all BEATLES songs!!???" I was born in the early 70's - how can I have no recollection of Beatles songs? Let's just not bring up my amazing skill at forgetting anything that it not pertinent to TODAY. Karen and her husband were rather intrigued at my fascination with this clock that I have waited SEVENTEEN years for. I didn't hear the end of my own "coveting of my own clock". But, there is just something about a clock chiming in your house that just makes it feel so homey and cozy. I don't care what song it's playing! Not that I have anything against the Beatles, it's just that I wasn't planning on hearing a Beatles song every hour, every day, for the rest of my life. But, hey, it's okay, because I LOVE MY CLOCK!!
So today, I received a package in the mail from my sister, with various things we had left behind at their house. On the very top I find this baggie...

Photobucket
And open it up to find this fabulous T-shirt!!!
Photobucket
And here is my beautiful (although borderline gawdy) clock.
Photobucket
And for your listening pleasure "LET IT BE".

And the obnoxious sound in the background would be my dogs and their bone clanking around on the wood floor. That sound fills my days.... along with the Beatles now.

post signature

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Gotta say.... not gawdy, because it looks a lot like mine. Even though it's a Beattles song, it's a classic and it sounds great. Mine is over a year old and still have not had to replace the batteries. don't you love that you can set the volume to whatever level you want?

Wendy said...

OK--I must admit that I was giggling while reading your post and trying desperately to imagine how a "Beatles" clock would sound. I LOVE IT--it's refreshing and soothing--good choice!

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

I think it makes us officially "old" when music from our decade has been made into a "chimey" clock.....sigh....

Karen said...

I'm glad you got your box! I coulda smacked Cary for mailing it sloooow mail - I wanted you to get your t-shirt! Couldn't resist when I saw that one.

I don't think it's gawdy at all, and it's a very sweet sound.